Quick Links

Quick Links

Reculver CofE Primary School


SEND Frequently asked Questions

What kinds of Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND) do the school provide for?

 The categories of SEND are:

Communication and Interaction.

Cognition and Learning.

Social, Emotional and Mental Health

Sensory and/or Physical.

Who is responsible for supporting my child’s difficulties with learning / SEND?

The class Teacher is responsible for:

Providing ‘Quality First Teaching’ for ALL pupils.

Being the first and main point of contact for parents.

Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning, facilitating and reviewing any additional help that your child may need

Involving the Inclusion Manager when sufficient progress is not being made.

Writing Pupil Progress targets, sharing and reviewing these with parents at least three times a year (including at Parents Evenings) and planning for the next term.

Ensuring that the school’s SEND policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach.

The Inclusion Manager is responsible for:

As a member of the Senior Leadership team, contributing to the strategic leadership of the school

As one of the schools Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSL), supporting the Lead DSL in all matters relating to Safeguarding

As the school’s designated teacher for Children in Care, overseeing their provision and well-being.

As the school’s Qualified Teacher for children with Vision Impairment (QTVI), overseeing their provision and well-being of children with Vision Impairment.

Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy

Coordinating and reviewing all the support for children with SEND

Ensuring that you are Kept informed about the support your child is getting and Involved in reviewing how they are doing

Liaising with external specialists who may advise on specific programmes for your child or offer staff training eg Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, Specialist Teaching and Learning Service, Outreach support from Special Schools etc.

Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all SEND needs pupils in this school are known) and ensuring records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.

Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

Planning for transition in your child’s education between key stages and schools.

The Head Teacher is responsible for:

The day to day management of all aspects of the school, including the provision made for children with SEND

Ensuring that your child’s needs are met through appointment of qualified staff within the school including a Masters level qualified SENCo (National Award for SEND Coordination) and the Mandatory Masters Level qualification for the QTVI role.

The SEND Governor is responsible for:

Supporting the school to evaluate and develop the quality and impact of provision for pupils with SEND across the school adopting the role of a “critical friend”.

How does the school know if my child needs extra help?

 The Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 - 25 years (2015) makes it clear that ‘all teachers are teachers of pupils with special educational needs.’ All teachers at Reculver Church of England Primary School are responsible for identifying pupils with SEND and, in collaboration with the Inclusion Manger, will ensure that those pupils requiring different or additional support are identified at an early stage.

Assessment is the process by which pupils with SEN can be identified. If a child is not making adequate progress then any barriers to learning will need to be investigated.

Our school will use appropriate screening and assessment tools, and ascertain pupil progress through:

Evidence obtained from teacher observation/assessment

Their performance judged against age appropriate National Curriculum objectives

Standardised screening diagnostic tests and/or assessment tools

Reports or observations, that may be shared at Team around the Child (TAC) meetings

Records from feeder schools etc

Information from parents

National curriculum results

Well-being scales (Boxall and NfER)

Behaviour logs used to identify triggers for particular behaviours

All evidence is discussed termly in pupil progress meetings, where concerns can be raised with the Head Teacher and Inclusion Manager.

How will my child and I know if they need extra help?

All parents receive annual reports and have an opportunity to meet formally in a parent consultation twice yearly to discuss your child’s progress. The school operates an open door policy and welcomes contributions from parents at any time, although class responsibilities may make certain times of day difficult for the teacher.

 If your child is identified as not making expected progress, is significantly below age expected attainment, or is struggling emotionally, the class teacher will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • listen to any concerns your child may have
  • plan any additional support your child may need
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

The Inclusion Manager and / or Director of Wellbeing may also attend.  Should outside specialist teaching services become involved, all reports will be copied to you, and the school will arrange a meeting to allow information and findings to be shared and agree the next steps to support your child further.

 If, as a parent, you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress or wellbeing, then you should make an appointment to see the class teacher initially to agree a plan to monitor the situation. If you continue to be concerned, please contact the Inclusion Manager and / or Head Teacher.

How will my child be supported in school if they are identified as having SEND?

Class teacher input via Quality First Teaching

For your child this would mean:

 That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in the learning in class. This may involve using more practical learning.

Lessons are adapted well, and other adults in the class are directed well to support the learning.

Specific strategies are in place to support your child to learn.

Your child’s teacher will monitor their progress and may decide that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to make the best possible progress. In this case an intervention may be planned as an individual or within a group.

We use a graduated approach, from whole class teaching, through small group work to additional adult support for children with significant needs.

An intervention may be :

Bespoke support for the individual need, an established intervention programme, mentoring through Wellbeing team support, Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA), or in our Nurture Groups.

The intervention may be run in the classroom or in other learning areas around the school. The intervention may be Teacher or Teaching assistant led.

For some children a small intervention may impact quickly, however others may be identified as in need of ongoing support and will be put on the Special Educational Needs Register.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies

If your child can not progress with additional school support in place, the Class Teacher and the Inclusion Manager will use further assessment tools to identify their needs. They may then seek permission from you to discuss their learning needs with the relevant agencies: specialist teachers, Educational Psychologist, speech and language etc. 

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations (shared with you) as to the ways your child is given support at school.

Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education and Health Care Plan (EHC Plan). This means that your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of specialist, individual or small group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

They specialist support required will be specific to your child’s needs and identified in their EHC Plan. 

Obtaining an EHC Plan is for the most severely affected 4% of pupils, the majority of which have complex needs and many of whom seek places in Special Schools. The 20 week process of assessment and final decision to award an EHC Plan is managed by, and at the discretion of, Kent County Council and entails information gathering from children, parents and professionals, including school. All parents have the right to appeal if they disagree with the outcome of such statutory assessment.

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?

The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND. The money allocated is dependent on the level of need.

The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school. 

The Head Teacher and Inclusion Manager discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including those children already getting support, those needing extra support and those identified as making less than expected progress. Decisions are then made on the way money is spent.

This may include:

  •  Supplementary materials in class to support
  • Training of relevant staff
  • Employment of further qualified staff

Your child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings; this may not always be possible with very young children/ children with delayed development.

Support and the use of resources are reviewed at termly (6 weekly) Pupil Progress Meetings.

 For a child who requires high levels of support and are considered to have ‘severe and complex needs’ an application may be made for High Needs Funding, with parental consent. It is not necessary for the child to have an Education and Health Care Plan to be considered for such funding. The funding application identifies the support given and is agreed at the discretion of Kent County Council. The intention is that High Needs Funding is for one academic year. In very few cases the funding may be agreed for consecutive years.

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

The Inclusion Manager supports the class teachers in their planning for children with SEND.

The Inclusion Manager will often provide and/or enable training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This has included whole school training on The Kent Mainstream Core Standards, relevant topics such as Attachment Disorder, Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC), Speech and Language difficulties and Zones Of Regulation (ZOR).

Individual teachers and TAs attend courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children.

Teachers are supported to visit other schools to observe Best Practice.

The Inclusion Manager attends LIFT meetings, specialist training and conferences. Where possible she takes other members of staff to enable them to access the best practice training that will enhance their provision.

The school seeks advice from the Specialist Teaching and Learning Service (STLS) and other agencies as appropriate.

How will the teaching be adapted so that my child can access the curriculum?

Subject Leaders identify the strengths and challenges that their subject presents children with different types of need and identify strategies to support children to overcome barriers to learning in relation to that subject.

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class. Daily planning takes into account individual pupils’ needs and requirements. Adaptation is approached in a range of ways to support access and ensure that all children can experience success and challenge in their learning.

Adaptations may take the form of additional or adapted equipment, small group or individual work, talk partners, alternative recording methods and writing frames or specialised ICT equipment.

Additional visuals, including Language Through Colour, and pictures are often used to support a child’s understanding and participation, using software including Clicker 8 and InPrint 3.

Whilst additional adults are used to support pupils, the school monitors their use closely to avoid children becoming over-reliant on adult support and to encourage children to be self-reliant and independent, thus preparing them for next steps in their education.

All children’s views on their learning and provision are sought. Additionally, the school council provides a context for pupils to participate in authentic ‘strategic’ learning discussions.

Whole school approaches are used where possible to ensure that the greatest benefit is obtained by all pupils to support their learning.

How will the progress of my child in school be measured?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her teacher.

Progress and achievement is subject to ongoing assessment within an Assess, Plan, Do & Review cycle.

Their progress is reviewed formally every term in Reading, Writing and Maths.

Those children following a specific plan are monitored against specific targets and these are adapted accordingly.

The progress of children with an EHC Plan is reviewed at Annual Review Meetings and throughout the year.

During Year 1, all pupils take part in national assessment and are screened in terms of their phonic knowledge. At the end of Year 6, the children are formally assessed in Maths and English using Standardised Assessment Tests (SATs). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.

Interventions and specific whole class teaching techniques are monitored alongside scrutiny of children’s recorded work and achievement data. The review of individual targets are recorded three times a year on Personalised Plans and Provision Maps.

How is Reculver Church of England Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

The school is accessible to children with physical and sensory needs. The school has wheelchair access throughout, except for two classrooms.

There is a lift to provide access to the upper floor of Upper School.

There are several disabled toilets available for pupils where needed.

There is a Care Suite fitted with a ceiling hoist and adjustable height changing plinth.

There is Braille signage in all areas accessed by Braille users. High visibility tape / paint is in place to support independent mobility of children with low vision around the school

We ensure, wherever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

After school provision through extra-curricular clubs is accessible to all children including those with SEND.

Curricular enhancements such as school trips are available to all pupils subject to the availability of external accessible transport and changing facilities.

How will my child be supported when they are leaving this school or a moving to another class? 

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for all children, including those with SEND and take active steps to ensure that any transitions are as smooth and sympathetically managed as possible.

If your child is moving to another school :

We will contact the Special Needs Department and ensure the sharing of information about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.

We will ensure that all records are passed on as soon as possible.

We will arrange meetings with key staff to share best practice for your child.

Where an EHC Plan is in place, additional transition meetings will be arranged.

When moving classes in school :

Your child’s class Teacher will ensure that Information will be passed to the new class teacher in advance and a planning meeting will take place between the relevant class teams

A Transition day event is organised when all children move up to their new class before the end of the school year.

Individualised transition work will take place led by the Class Teachers where needed.

A video is made by each Class Teacher that is available on the school website for all children throughout the summer. This includes and introduction by the child’s new teacher to the new classroom environment, classroom staff and topics that will be covered in the year.

In Year 6 :

Focused transition work will take place including weekly discussions with small groups of children.

Liaison meetings with Secondary SENCOs and parents are started early in Year 6 once the children know where they are attending in Year 7.

Additional transition visits are made both as part of the secondary schools’ vulnerable children programmes as well as with negotiation where more visits are required.

All information is transferred to the new school and there is a requirement that they sign to evidence that the transfer of information has been made.

What emotional and social development support do we have in place for a child with SEND?

The emotional health and well-being of all of the children is paramount to their happiness and success in learning. At Reculver CE Primary School we have a strong, supportive, Christian ethos to provide a secure and caring environment. To support the children we offer a range of pastoral strategies and interventions.

Within the school we have a strong offer for supporting children in their emotional needs. 

Our Director of Wellbeing, Mia Fisher, is the school’s Designated Senior Lead for Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing.

Our Inclusion Manager, Fiona Cunningham is the Designated Teacher for Children in Care (CiC)

There are currently seven qualified Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSA), supporting children’s emotional wellbeing and mental health across the school.

The Wellbeing Team, led by Mia Fisher, are experienced in the support of children who have experienced Adverse Childhood Experiences and children who are impacted by early Attachment and Trauma. They are qualified Mental Health First Aiders.

Children who are identified as being likely to benefit from intensive nurture support join the Nurture Group. This is delivered by members of the Wellbeing Team who have been trained in high quality nurture provision by Nurture UK. They are also ELSA accredited.  Boxall profiling is used by the team to identify and monitor children benefiting from Nurture Provision.

Children identified as not fully engaged in school life through observation in class or at play, or who raise any concerns are discussed on a termly basis as with those who show learning difficulties.  Team Around the Child (TAC) meetings are held with key staff to identify difficulties and associated effective strategies to be consistently used to support individuals.  These strategies are often documented in a Behaviour support Plan, shared with and co-produced by families.

External specialist support is sought for any child who continues to cause concern at home and / or school through accessing specialist teaching services, expert clinicians, etc. External counselling services are sourced, when available and needed, as well counselling services that can be accessed through referrals to the ‘Early Help’ Service.

The school employs a qualified adult and child Counsellor, Paul Grainger, who works with children and family members in school, two days a week.